I recently ordered a bunch of Warmachine Khador goodies and since I am basically starting from scratch I decided to get the Vallejo Game Color 72 paint set after doing extensive research through the interwebs. So far I am digging the way they handle although they could be a little too watered down sometimes.
I was struggling on what “theme” my Khador army would be and I didn’t want the typical snow junkies, red lovin’ type, typical northerners. So I decided to experiment on color schemes with my Widowmakers and decided they would basically be a “Thornwood” based Khador army with tan and greys being the main colors. So here’s my Autumn color scheme 🙂
I haven’t painted miniatures for around 10 years so I wanted a basic but somewhat detailed paintjob. My steps are pretty basic and as follows…
- White P3 Primer
- Base coat colors using Vallejo Game Colors
- Used Citadel Badab Black wash all over the miniature
- Minimal highlights (studs, rivets, buttons, flesh, etc.)
- Bases are comprised of Woodland Scenics grass & trees. I also use Skullcrafts Autumn Mix Leaf Scatter
- Finally I use Army Painter Anti-Shine Matte Varnish & Vallejo Gloss Varnish on certain areas (rifle scopes, goggles)
Overall I am pretty satisfied and I prefer the dirty look over a super clean and crisp job unless it was for a competition (Plus they have been entrenched in the woods for awhile now ;p).